Saturday, September 20, 2014

Being Beautiful - What God Says About 'Ugly' Days

Let's admit it, we ALL get those moments of, "oh my gosh, I AM SO UGLY!".  Whether shallow or significant, we still occasionally think that our arms are too flabby, that our face and whatnot is dreadfully covered in acne and scars, or that our nose is too big for our frame. Whatever it is, sisters and brothers, it's normal to feel like that, but normal doesn't mean it's good...


Since Satan is the father of lies (John 8:44), he loooves tricking us into thinking that 'this and that' on our bodies or in our personalities aren't good enough to be beautiful. How subtle and deceiving he can be when we listen to him!

Comparing Satan's voice to God's:

While the devil (who is often mistaken as our own voice) says,
  1. You're downright ugly, plain, and weird.
  2. You have too many defects on your body to be worthy.
  3. If you only alter that one thing you dislike about yourself, you'll finally be happy.
  4. You can't go on and live boldly without a perfect appearance.
  5. Others won't like you looking the way you do now.
God says,
  1. I make you beautiful. - Psalms 34:5
  2. Your physical appearance doesn't determine your worthiness. - 1 Corinthians 6:11 
  3. You cannot be truly happy without Me (no matter how many things you try to change by buying serums and following diets!) - Matthew 6:33
  4. You can live boldly no matter how you look. - 1 Samuel 16:7
  5. Others will like you because of the beautiful light you shine. - Matthew 5:16
Now, this might just be me, but I think I'd rather listen to the latter!

To God, our beauty doesn't vary:
Jesus is stable and forever the same (Hebrew 13:8) while we are frail and forever changing, so it is crucial that we look to Him for approval and not within ourselves. One day we like our physicality, and the other one we'd give anything to switch bodies, but God always finds us beautiful! Remember, He made us into His very image (Genesis 1:27)!!! If this is not the synonym of beauty, I don't know what is. 

True beauty:

With the rise of elaborate selfies and fleeting fashion trends, it's not uncommon for us to feel like we are not adequate compared to celebrities or other 'pretty' persons that we see online or in real life. These people seem to have it all, don't they? Beauty, fashionable clothes, attitude, peers, ... while we have- well, ourselves. What was considered cute in 2004 is now considered hideous (or is it? I don't know anymore, it changes all the time), so it goes to show you that the world doesn't really know what true 'beauty' is and thus seek to alter it constantly!

But to God, beauty is the same thing since 2500 B.C. and beyond.  Just like Sarah was beautiful because of her good works and fearless spirit, so can we be (1 Peter 3:6). According to God, your beauty doesn't depend on how current your clothes are, how muscular you are, or how well your hair and make up is done, it depends on your inner self; your gracious and gentle spirit (1 Peter 3:3-5). That, to God, is an immeasurably precious thing! 

Conclusion:

So, sisters and brothers (yes, it happens to them too!), the next time you feel a negative thought coming about your body, appearance, or personality, go ahead and nip it in the bud! The devil is too inferior to make you decide how to see yourself. Let Jesus do the judging, and you will realize that He sees you as beautiful because of His own everlasting, true beauty! 

I honestly pray that this little letter helps you to see yourself as God sees you, and reassures you that you don't have to undergo these 'ugly' or 'fat' days anymore. Jesus makes you new and saves you from all these worries (2 Corinthians 5:17, Matthew 6:25-34, 1 Peter 5:7)!

I love you, and YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!

Your sister,




P.S.: Listen to "Beautiful" by Bethany Dillon, "Strong Enough" by Stacie Orrico, and "Beautiful Things" by Gungor. They are incredibly uplifting songs!

7 comments:

  1. This is such an inspirational and beautiful post! It made me feel so much better on my body image.
    Thank you for sharing the message through such wonderful writing:)
    June

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm SO happy that it makes you feel better! You're beautiful, June! :) And thank you for such lovely feedback, it's incredibly encouraging!! <3

      Delete
  2. You are always beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you, super anon!! You are too, I'm positive! <3 I wish that you had signed your name so that I could thank you properly!

      Delete
  3. This is so encouraging Noemie! Thank you tons for posting ♥ I know, it seems every time a new makeup or clothing fad is born that you can't perfectly copy, you feel uglier. For me, it's seeing a perfectly made-up women with flawless facial features. Then I feel insufficient, and I have to remind myself that the women in the picture is covered in foundation and what-not, and the picture is also probably photoshopped. That makes me feel better :) I especially love the point you brought up about everyone being made in God's image, that was just what I needed to hear (or rather read :)

    P.S. Please excuse any improper English or spelling, I'm in a hurry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praise Jesus!!! <3 I'm so glad that it blessed you at just the right time! You're totally right, and besides, I'm slowly learning how to use Photoshop and let me tell you, it's SO easy to just touch up a few things here and there, so you can image how much the big brands use it to edit out 'flaws' from their models! I pray for their souls and for every girl and boy not feeling worthy enough to realize that God wants to give them the one true beauty that never fades!!

      I hope that you have a great day, and YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL, ABBY! :D

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much, you are so sweet and encouraging!

      Delete

➺Comments are a blogger's dearest treats! Be a darling and leave me one so I know that you stopped by! :)

Romans 5:8 "But think about this: while we were wasting our lives in sin, God revealed His powerful love to us in a tangible display—the Anointed One died for us!"